Shop press for forming die?

Discussion on building a legal form 1 suppressor
Pepe

Shop press for forming die?

Postby Pepe » 10 Jan 2017 10:06

Hey, I got my forming dies.
Now I need to get a press.
All my plugs are stainless in D and B sizes.

Would a 1 ton press like this be sufficient?
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1 ... -p8604647e

Or should I get a 2 ton press?
That model also come in a 2 ton version but it's twice the price and 3x the shipping cost.

I just want to buy what I need and nothing more since I likely will never use that tool again. So us a 1 ton press sufficient?

Gunfighter2a

Re: Shop press for forming die?

Postby Gunfighter2a » 10 Jan 2017 23:27

No it will not work I bought a Aframe press from harbor freight on sale for 74 bucks and it works great or you can use a bench vise if it is big enough

Pepe

Postby Pepe » 11 Jan 2017 10:26

Gunfighter2a wrote:No it will not work I bought a Aframe press from harbor freight on sale for 74 bucks and it works great or you can use a bench vise if it is big enough

Will a 2 ton press work?
Like this maybe:
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/p ... -p8604654e

Pepe

Postby Pepe » 13 Jan 2017 12:37

Gunfighter2a wrote:No it will not work I bought a Aframe press from harbor freight on sale for 74 bucks and it works great or you can use a bench vise if it is big enough

Though that A frame is cheaper than both my 1 ton and 2 ton presses, I have no access to Arbor Freight where I am located.

What Griffin claims is that a ton of pressure is required to form the plugs. I don't know if that's for the SS plugs or not.

I was hoping the 1 ton press would be sufficient if I heat up the plugs to 400°F in the oven before I form them to make them softer a bit. I read they are easier to form if you heat them up in the over or with a propane/map torch.

Return to “Form 1 Suppressors”