What is the best platform or caliber for suppression?

Technical discussion dealing with all firearms
minion

What is the best platform or caliber for suppression?

Postby minion » 01 Feb 2016 14:23

With all the members having so many platforms ,styles ,lengths,calibers what do you think is the best platform to suppress ? the easiest ? Barrel length? caliber?please exclude .22 we all know how well they suppress but what about .223/5.56,6.8,300blk etc...lets here ideas and opinions

Boghog1

Re: What is the best platform or caliber for suppression?

Postby Boghog1 » 04 Feb 2016 11:03

The 300 Blackout was specifically designed for subsonic /suppressor . A 10.5" barrel is also that is needed

minion

Postby minion » 04 Feb 2016 13:07

Boghog1 Thank you for joining.Please tell me more about the 300Blackout.I see so much about it on the net but I still am an .223/5.56 lover.I don't think I have run across any of the 300blk with long barrels.Do you have an idea why no longer barrels?Is there a reason it is a favorite to suppress maybe because of it being so popular in sbr?Any information you can share is appreciated.Thanks

Weber

Postby Weber » 05 Feb 2016 09:00

Blackout was made to be suppressed. It offers a larger bullet at slower speeds. It has it's limitations but is a great fun round.

The reason you do not see longer barrels (I have a 16" SS Match Grade Barrel on one) is the gas system is a pistol length and the powder is burned quickly. You just need enough barrel to stabilize the bullet.
Shall Not Be Infringed...

minion

Postby minion » 05 Feb 2016 11:17

Welcome back mr weber thank you for replying.So if the 300 blk is a slower speed round does that mean a fast burning powder? is there a specific barrel twist recommended for the 300 blk or is it dependent on barrel length?

colimr

Postby colimr » 05 Feb 2016 11:25

I am seeing more ar9 9mm platform being built and suppressed as well as a few 6.8 they seem to be becoming popular platforms for suppression.Just because I am not familiar with srb can anyone please tell me is there a difference in 9mm pistol,srb and ar carbine suppression? does length factor in suppression or is it a matter of sub sonic versus full load rounds that make the difference?

Weber

Postby Weber » 05 Feb 2016 13:01

minion wrote:Welcome back mr weber thank you for replying.So if the 300 blk is a slower speed round does that mean a fast burning powder? is there a specific barrel twist recommended for the 300 blk or is it dependent on barrel length?

It uses a faster burning powder because of the reduced case capacity, compared to the same case and a 556 bullet.

Twist rates for 300 blackout are typically 1:7 and 1:8, for large sub sonic bullets (220 grain) you want a faster twist rate. For lighter super sonic bullets (115 grain) you need a slower twist rate.

The optimum barrel length is 9", as all the powder is burned at that point. Of course different powders burn differently, but that is the norm most manufactures recommend. I have a a few ranging from 8"-16", and shoot subs and supers with no issues.

Weber

Postby Weber » 05 Feb 2016 13:05

colimr wrote:I am seeing more ar9 9mm platform being built and suppressed as well as a few 6.8 they seem to be becoming popular platforms for suppression.Just because I am not familiar with srb can anyone please tell me is there a difference in 9mm pistol,srb and ar carbine suppression? does length factor in suppression or is it a matter of sub sonic versus full load rounds that make the difference?

9mm in the AR9 is becoming next common caliber to suppress. With manufactures making dedicated lowers and the price dropping, they are becoming very common.

There is not much difference between the a suppressed pistol and a suppressed ar, as they all use short barrels. The case can only hold so much powder and once the powder is burned you only gain small amounts of velocity per inch, and there is a diminishing return. Most find that the extra length and weight is not worth the small increase which can be adjusted with load development.

Return to “Firearms”